SerendipEye

A life in these times : Civilization, Democracy, Economics, Family, Ideas, Liberal, Life, Multi-Cultural, Principles, Progress, Science, Self, Truth.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

A bully, a brothel, a tribute and a little bit more

Working on a blog about our beloved health minister, the pitt bull of the right, the moral enforcer of the nation, the feminist hater, the unimaginative intellectual, the serial policy cost under-estimator and I nearly forgot an apparent cuckold. For now, from the International Affairs Desk here is what I've been catching up on over week.

When it was announced, I hedged my bets on Wolfowitz getting to the WorldBank and Bolton not getting to the UN. Looks like I might have been right now that Colin Powell is on the offensive. Follow bully-boy Bolton's pitfalls here.

You are always welcome at the country that whores itself as the brothel of the world all thanks to the men who loved you two time. Sean Paul from the agonist writes about the Realist's Case For Genocide Intervention. I spent wednesday at a company meeting where we were told that Japan had 4.9 million VoIP consumers compared to somewhere between 100K to 300K per European country. Apparently this is why.

Finally, a tribute to Sivaram from an opposition idealogue.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:56 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent snippets of news, the last one specially - Amazing how Japan has gone from an industrialised nation with one of the lowest rates of PC diffusion amongst households in the world to one of the most wired in about 25 years.

     
  • At 7:57 am AEST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was Ru by the way.

     
  • At 9:56 pm AEST, Blogger ivap said…

    Hey Ru, I was amazed too when I heard about Japan's resistance to PCs during the dotcom boom days. If I remember correctly they copped a lot of flak from the digirati. Specially from some of the MIT folk. I'd be interested to know how many Japanese small/medium businesses used PC software applications (custom apps not MS Office and Co) back then and even now.

    I once worked for a company that had their software in some large Japanese corporates (banks I think). However, while the latest release was version 14 the Japanese insisted on sticking to version 2 and refused to upgrade. I have no idea why but they had to maintain a separate company/arm and development team in Japan to maintain the product. I'd also be interested in knowing how much this policy helped the Japanese economy to recover.

    One positive of this has been the profusion of hard to get anime online.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home